08 February 2009

A couple of stray mantras

Of the thirteen principle Buddhas and Bodhisattvas of the Shingon school I have pages for eleven. The two that are missing are Mahāsthāmaprāpta and Samantabhadra, neither of whom have the same popularity (at least in these forms) in the West as they do in Japan. In some schools of Tibetan Buddhism Samantabhadra becomes the Adibuddha, that is he takes Mahāvairocana's role.

In anycase until I get around to creating pages for these two, here are their mantras in siddhaṃ with Roman, Devanāgarī, and, as an experiment, Tibetan (note the Tibetan is Unicode but you might need to find a Tibetan font as the Tibetan range isn't often included in standard fonts. I use Tibetan Machine Uni)


Mahāsthāmaprāpta (Seishi Bosatsu) महास्थामप्राप्त

 Mahāsthāmaprāpta (Seishi Bosatsu)





oṃ saṃ jaṃ jaṃ saḥ svāhā
ओं सं जं जं सः स्वाहा

ཨོཾ་སཾ་ཇཾ་ཇཾ་སཿ་སྭཱ༌ཧཱ།

Note: Her bīja is saḥ सः སཿ


Samantabhadra (Fugen Bosatsu) समन्तभद्र

Samantabhadra (Fugen Bosatsu)







oṃ sa ma ya stvaṃ i.e. oṃ samayas tvaṃ
ओं समयस्त्वं

ཨོཾ་ས་མ་ཡ་སྠྭཾ།

Note:
samaya is an agreement or contract, the nominative singular is samayaḥ which changes to samayas when followed by the t of tvaṃ meaning you, also nom. sg. So that part means "you are bound", or "there is an agreement or contract with you". It probably refers to the tantric vows one takes before abhiṣeka.

Samantabhadra's bīja is aṃ अं ཨཾ

Do let me know how the Tibetan looks as I want to start using it more extensively.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. IE seems to render the Tibetan better than Firefox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi According to the calendar Fugen Bosatsu is my birth Buddha Could you please post more info as well as his mantra in Siddham I would really appreciate this chance to learn.

    Thank you

    With best regards

    GBH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a birth Buddha before - what calendar is that? I wish I could publish more about Fugen, but that is all I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not as familiar to why exactly he is my birth Buddha but when we went to Kyoto with my in laws who are Japanese and well educated in Shinto-Buddhism they told me that he is my guardian Buddha according to when I was born 09/29/1976. There are tons of information but its all in Japanese and my nihongo isnt good enough to translate.

    I have question if you could help: I found 'am' written very different from what I already seen:

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ja/e/e7/Siddham_am.svg

    what style of script is this?

    Thank you

    One page I found on Fugen you might find interesting:

    http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/fugen.shtml

    Best Regards

    GBH

    ReplyDelete